A white smile is a healthy smile. It’s also a confident smile. Many people are unhappy with the way their teeth look because of discoloration. Teeth stains are a common condition, which is why Dr. Nicholas J. Booker at Booker Family Dentistry in Trenton, MI recommends the following advice for maintaining a white smile.
At-Home Practices for Maintaining a White Smile
Even whitening treatments don’t have permanent effects, you still need to practice good at-home oral care. This includes:
- Brushing twice a day for two minutes
- Using a whitening toothpaste
- Flossing at least once a day
- Using mouthwash to reduce bacteria
- Keeping the tongue clean
- Avoiding sugary foods and beverages
- Not using tobacco products
- Visiting the dentist twice yearly for a professional cleaning
Despite your best efforts, sometimes, at-home care just isn’t enough to get your teeth whiter, this is when Trenton residents turn to Dr. Booker for professional teeth whitening to eliminate stubborn stains.
How Cosmetic Dentistry Removes Stubborn Stains
There are three types of tooth discoloration that cosmetic dentistry can treat. These are:
- Extrinsic discoloration: This is the staining of the external layer of the teeth. Extrinsic discoloration is superficial, in that it doesn’t affect the inner layers of the teeth, making it easier to treat. Bleaching agents can be used to whiten the affected teeth.
- Intrinsic discoloration: The discoloration affects the dentin beneath the tooth’s outer layer. Traditional whitening methods may not be effective for this condition. But techniques such as bonding or applying veneers can be used to treat it.
- Age-related discoloration: Typically, age-related discoloration is due to a combination of the above conditions. If teeth whitening alone is insufficient to resolve the problem, boning or veneers may be an option.
Do you live in Trenton, and want to brighten your smile with cosmetic dentistry? Call Dr. Booker today at (734) 675-5700.